Welcome to the Applied Mathematics Group in the Department of Mathematics at Iowa State University. Our faculty members, postdoctoral fellows, and students are involved in a variety of research projects, including numerical analysis and scientific computing, probability and stochastic processes, dynamical systems and control theory, mathematical physics, quantum information, and mathematical biology.
Tenured and Tenure-Track Faculty
Faculty from the Department of Mathematics
Affiliated Faculty from Other Departments
Graduate Course Offerings
- Official list of all courses offered at ISU in the current semester
- Official ISU Department of Mathematics course catolog
- Math 507: Applied Linear Algebra
- Math 519: Applied Mathematics I
- Math 554: Intro to Stochastic Processes
- Math 557: ODEs and Dynamical Systems
- Math 561: Numerical Analysis I
- Math 566: Discrete Optimization
- Math 655: Partial Differential Equations I
- Math 517: Finite Difference Methods
- Math 520: Methods of Applied Mathematics II
- Math 525: High Performance Computing
- Math 562: Numerical Analysis II
- Math 565: Continuous Optimization
- Math 645: Advanced Stochastic Processes
- Math 646: Math Modeling of Complex Physical Systems
- Math 680E: Advanced Topics: Differential Equations
Our SIAM-ISU Student Chapter
Current SIAM-ISU Chapter Officers
The objectives of SIAM (Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics) are:
- Further the application of mathematics to industry and science;
- Promote basic research in mathematics leading to new methods and techniques useful to industry and science;
- Provide media for the exchange of information and ideas between mathematicians and other technical and scientific personnel.
The objectives of the SIAM-ISU Student Chapter are
- Provide students with a means for professional development by its programs and its relationships with other Student Chapters and with the National Society;
- Contribute toward the development of applied mathematics at the Iowa State University through activities in which student members and faculty may participate;
- Serve as an interdisciplinary focal point within the University community for the interchange of information in the area of applied mathematics.
Find out more at the following links:
- Collection of all SIAM Student Chapters around the world;
- The SIAM-ISU Student Chapter page;
- The SIAM-ISU Student Chapter Facebook account.
Information about the PhD and MS Programs in Applied Mathematics
The Department of Mathematics at Iowa State University offers both M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Applied Mathematics.
A comprehensive description of the various requirements for these degrees can be find at the following link:
- Applied Mathematics Graduate Program Requirements at Iowa State University
How to Apply to the PhD or MS Programs in Applied Mathematics
Are you interested in applying to one of our degree programs in Applied Mathematics?
A comprehensive explanation of how to apply to either the M.S. or Ph.D. degree programs can be find at the following link:
- Apply to the Applied Mathematics Program at Iowa State University